Friday, June 11, 2010

You only live once

Sidenote before I start...I am always going to have a picture up on the side of things I am lusting for...my perogative...today I am STILL lusting after the BCBG Max Azria Bandage skirt...I need one in my closet...*sigh*

Ok...so instead of focusing on writing a paper on Oprah which i am hoping to get published, I am going to "waste" my time instead on this...spewing random thoughts. Now let me set the scene, its a VERY beautiful Friday afternoon here in (wherever you want me to be). I can envision myself being a working girl (no not THAT kind of working girl get your mind out of the gutter) getting off work and meeting friends for drinks at Happy hour. Alas that isn't the case. I am sitting here on my couch, looking at the beautiful weather sick as a dog...(Eve you owe me one for all this unnecessary pain women have to go through...enough said :))


So what gems do I have to spew or to educate the masses with? Well not to beat an already dead horse especially with what BP is already doing to the wildlife...but Slim Thugg or whatever his name is and the issue he highlights in his very eloquent speech about Black women got me thinking. (In case you have no idea what I am referring to, see http://bossip.com/255583/slim-thug-backlash-an-open-letter-from-columbia-professor-marc-lamont-hill/)
Sidenote: It was interesting to me to notice that most of the responses (except for Marc lamont were only by black women...do black men feel this same way? Is that why they are quiet??)


Ahhh...maybe this is the reason I am single and will forever remain single if the solution he offers is how to "get me a man". It seems in my life, black men (Africans and all their variations) handed me off to the White men who promptly handed me off to the Asians who shook their heads and dropped me (not so daintily I may add) on my backside and run the opposite direction.
I know Men usually complain about women and their inability to properly articulate what it is that they want. (Trust me this is not my issue give me 10 mins and you will know what I want from a mate). When that argument fails, then there is the ever present "all you women are alike" at which point I do not even bother because I know some other woman before me fought and lost the battle...no need to reinvent the wheel or keep screaming something if the person is not ready to truly listen. I do not know about anyone else but I dream about having a daughter, my own personal cho-obi (doll), my princess I can play dress up with. But if this world, a world where I have to look at my baby and say "Honey now don't expect much, Prince Charming does not exist, he only lives in a fairytale" is what is waiting for her, do I really want to have a daughter?
Where did the real men all go? I know the gays have some of the good ones but I hope they weren't selfish enough to take them all...thats just not good manners...sharing is caring. :). All jest aside, lets put aside all the things men accuse women of "wanting" a rich man (when she herself is broke), a fit man (when she herself looks like a brick house) etc. etc. and think this out. Are there no people who can articulate realistic standards of what they want in a mate? Are we going to continue to bash the other based on hearsay and preconceived notions of what the other is supposed to be like?
I do not know about you but I am tired of my old game which obviously brought me so far (I am being sarcastic of course). So here is the new game plan...I am opening my eyes, head, heart and prayers (still not my legs) to anyone who can show me that they at least are willing to know me (again not the biblical "knowing") and go along my journey with me (ditching my one seater bicycle and upgrading to a two seater :). Its time for people to stop ascribing collective preconceived notions on others and take a stand for themselves. There has got to be a change in 2010...and my change is this...if I meet 10 men from this point on and they are all useless...they will all be useless because of what they did singularly. The rest of mankind will not suffer for their sins...this is how I aim to approach dating in 2010....want to join me? ....

No comments:

Post a Comment