Friday, June 25, 2010

A beautiful day ... - Windows Live

A beautiful day ... - Windows Live

Do you ever have one of those days that are just so beautiful you cannot be in a bad mood regardless of what is going on around you or in your life in that particular moment? Well today is one of those days...I woke up and the sun was just beaming out of my shutters like it knew it was doing a good thing...I just had to smile ...and I am still smiling. Its so funny how the weather can have such an impact on our moods or maybe its just me?...Dreary days make me dreary...cold days make me want to stay in bed but bright days and I feel like I conquer the world! ( Even though I might have to settle with conquering as far as I can walk since I probably cant afford Gas right about now ) lol

Since today is such a beautiful day we are only going to focus on positive things. If you are anything like me, I am sure you have a set of mantras or sayings that you keep around you to motivate you. When I was growing up my mom used to tell me about this girl she used to know. Apparently, this girl was definitely not the most beautiful girl the world has ever seen, yet she seemed to always have the best time at parties, the best pick in men etc. etc. and what was her secret? Money? No, Bribery? No...it was just having a good attitude especially about herself. Apparently this said girl would look in the mirror every morning and say "You are the most beautiful girl on this planet, you are smart, successful etc. etc. " and just this self affirmation worked so much so that it prevented negative energy from coming and disrupting her life thus allowing her to be the happiest in any social setting and equally happy with herself. This is such an important lesson that I am glad my mother shared with me.

Growing up in a family with all the shades of the make up counter and being the darkest and dealing with people's mentality of "light is right" I fear that if my parents had not instilled in me a sense of self value from that early period it may have damaged me in the long run. Yes I still have days when I feel my thighs are too big, my hair is too curly, my teeth too big etc. etc. but at the end of it all I can smile and be happy that I am just who I am.

This issue of self value or self worth is one that is so dear to me especially when it comes to females (possibly because I am female and know how hard it can be for women who are not deemed socially attractive), I know men go through their own issues but I don't know enough about that to speak on it. So I will speak on what I know. For me I believe beauty is truly skin deep. The superficial part can and may fade and I believe if you dont have a beautiful spirit underneath it all, sometimes that outer beauty becomes tainted, tarnished, cheapened.

If I am ever blessed to have a daughter, I hope to raise her as my parents have raised me, with a strong mind and a love for herself no matter what anyone else thinks or says because in the end God in his infinite power and wisdom knew why he created you with the exact dimensions and specifications he created you with. One of my dad's pals Uncle Paa Kwesi or was it my Uncle Kofi, well one of them) had a funny way of thinking about modern day enhancements (like plastic surgery). For him he did not think it was a smart idea because he believed we had all been tagged with a specific VIN number and that if we chose to get worked on these number dissappeared. So on judgment day when our numbers are being called, God would look and look but not be able to find us cause we edited our VIN numbers lol. Obviously this is my very personal reaction to the idea of modifying oneself and guess what? Since its MY opinion there's diddly squat you can do about it. The joy of freedom of speech!!! Now dont get me wrong I am not saying all plastic surgery is wrong, if you have been involved in a horrid accident and all scarred and marred and something can be done about it, please go ahead get it done. I am talking about the vain plastic surgery where there is nothing wrong with you yet you want a little tuck here and there to "look better". (now will you stop snarling at me) sheesh!!!

Anyways the long ass, long winded sermon was all to get to this point. A reflection on Psalm 138 (139) that my mother shared with me and that I make sure to read every once in awhile to remind me of the bigger picture.
It says;
Just think,YOU are not here by chance, but by God's choosing.
His Hand formed you and made you the person you are,
He compares you to No one else, you are one of a kind.
You lack nothing that his grace cannot do for you
He has allowed you to be here at this time in History
To fulfill his special purpose for this generation....
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment