Friday, February 18, 2011

She-man and He-ra??

So if you know me you know I am a shiny freak, if its shiny, I want it :) Plain and simple. I used to love Swarovski items and then the love died (for a little bit) but now its backkkk :) I think Swarovski Europe has more to offer though, but if you want some good deals on some shiny click here.

So Francis and J brought about this topic. J and I were talking about it a few days ago and Francis reminded me about it today. Should women be allowed to do all the things men do in sports and things that require strength?

I say yes, the two men say No. Then I say, to some extent. The two men still say No. Well J says they can try or they should be allowed to try but the requirements should not be reduced because it is a woman. If the test is to run 100 miles then men and women should run 100 miles, not men 100, women 50. (Is that better)? This is my whole view on this man man man woman debate. If a woman wants to be at the fore front of a war, let her do it, just don't make it mandatory for all women to do it. I am a woman and I do not want to be at the forefront of any battle thank you. This is where some people would say ah ha! Why make it ok for only SOME women when ALL men have to do it? You are either in or out you can't play both cards. If we are going to blur the lines then lets go all out...wait a minute!

Do I think men and women are created equal...YES! Do I think they can do the same things? NO! I do not care what you say, the same reason a man cannot give birth to a child (because of biological reasons), is the same reason women (without any edits) cannot do some of the things men can. The sooner we accept this and move onto other things that matter the better for all of us. Now do not confuse the biological argument with a male chauvinistic one which says women cannot contribute at work etc. etc. see for me that is a different debate. I am talking purely human mechanics here. Strength, agility etc. Come on we all know that with the brain stuff (women kick men ass all the time shush I know I am being biased) :).

So what am I saying? A woman cannot run as fast as a man, beat a man at a sport etc. etc. No. I am saying a woman COULD but because THAT woman chooses to doesn't mean it should be the norm for every other woman. Women come out of the womb with the pressures of the world already on their shoulders. We ARE strong in ways men can only dream about but not necessarily on the same things Men consider themselves to be strong on.

We should all do what WE want to do and not what everyone else suggests or thinks we do. This whole herd mentality is what is getting us into trouble. A man is not superior than a woman and vice versa, we have enough of the ying and yang for us to work together as one. THAT is what I think people need to concern themselves with, versus, oh women cant do this and that or should not be allowed to do this and that. Or men should not do this and that etc. The days of SOME men choosing historically feminine sports are gone, men can be ballet dancers, cheer leaders etc. etc. If they have the opportunity to do this then why cant some females do the same without any backlash?

He or she who wants to do it should do it. It just should not become the measuring stick for the whole gender. That is where my problem lies. Enough with the herd mentality, not every woman will be a Michelle Obama, and not every man will be a Barack Obama what we need to understand and accept is that we all have a role to play and how we play those roles is ultimately what is important. Everyone is relevant and everyone is important, you only have one life to live why spend it living for others or living trying to prove others wrong? Do you and be happy doing you and that's my two cents on the matter.



No comments:

Post a Comment