Tuesday, August 31, 2010

When the going gets tough...

This Lilla P Black Pima Cotton Origami Wrap has been sitting in my Smartbargains cart for over a week now. Even though the price has gone up to $36 and change, I managed to snag it for less than $20. When I can justify spending that kind of money when I do not have a pot to piss in presently, then I will be the proud owner of this very versatile looking wrap. Unless you want to get it for me in which case I would be more than grateful. Yay!!

Moving right along. Everyone has funky days. You have them, I have them, we all have them (La di da). My question is why we are not allowed to live out these moments of funkiness??... Being down in the dumps (occasionally) sucks but hey it is a part of life. People seem to always want to downplay the bad times and rush on quickly to the happy days. Not all the days are happy and not all of them are going to be happy, I think the sooner we accept this the better we all will be for it.

So why am I seemingly advocating wallowing in one's misery or despair? I am not. I am merely saying that people who try to downplay other people's feelings or want/need to be sad (for a minute) are not helping that person. Yes, if you are constantly feeling down on yourself or you think you are never good enough (then you need prayers :), I keed, I keed). What I mean is that I am not referring to people who have medical problems with depression, and please do not confuse this with that very serious medical issue.

The kind I am talking about will allow me to laze about and sigh loudly (very loudly) when the guy I really really really like took my number a week ago and STILL hasn't called. Or pace nervously when rent, cable, electricity bills are all due and I still haven't found a job. Those kinds of "depressing" moment.

Conventional wisdom teaches us to "dust our shoulders off", "keep on keeping on", "when the going gets tough the tough get going" blah blah but for one day can we just say no thanks. I am tired of it all and I just want to sit, whine, cry and wail like there is no tomorrow? Yes that will achieve absolutely nothing but it will soothe my soul for that brief time.

The Good word cautions us about being Christian and expecting easy or happy lives (ref. Job or any of the apostles...heck look at Jesus himself). (Hence my huge problem with Prosperity gospels). Being Christian does not guarantee us good and easy lives but it provides us with tools to truly believe the moment is temporary and God ultimately has the final say in what becomes of us. So trouble will come but HOW we deal with this trouble ultimate says a lot about how we believe I guess. I know God will take me out of this into more than I have ever imagined possible for my life, that is why I tell him "Please let me have this human pity party moment and we can get back to your ultimate plan when I feel better". He usually says "Why don't you try praying about it" and usually I do but other times I like to be stubborn and just go into the pity party then when I feel it is getting out of hand, wrap up with a prayer lol.

Depressing days should never be our norm and we should never accept these as our portion in life. I believe they happen so when the good times come we appreciate them even more because we have something to compare those good days to. We are supposed to believe God has only the best in mind for us but if you are like me and need a few minutes(only on rare occassions) to wild out then listen to Kina's Have a cry. The lyrics go...
Feelin' kinda low
Oh, and that's not the worst part
I just got a home, yeah
Gettin' old and still wanna be a star
Yeah, I'm feelin' low
But don't come run to my rescue
Please don't come to preach
Don't need no goddamn happy speech

1 - Is it alright if I cry?
Without no positive speeches
Don't need no lessons on God
Because I'm human, I got weakness
Don't just say it's alright
My life fell into 10 pieces
Don't just say it's fine
Just let me have a cry

I know you're tryin' to help me
Can't you just listen to me sometimes?

You can't always find the answers
Everybody's faith ain't always high
Yeah, I'm feelin' low
So please just let me sulk

There ain't nothin' you can say
So don't come sing Amazing Grace
There ain't nothin' you can do
So don't come give your point of view
There ain't nothin' you can say
I'm only human, yeah yeah yeah yeah

Basically she has summed it up nicely...bad times happen, however, being children of God and true believers we know these times will not end up breaking us. At the same time, we should be allowed to "have a cry" every once in awhile...what say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment