Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lemmi upgrade you...flying in...

Jet setting, jet lagged and I still wanted to get this off my chest before I forgot key parts. So for anyone desiring to make the glamorous journey from America to Ghana, they previously had one direct flight option. Namely the one and only Air 'tro tro' Delta. I flew with Delta once (roundtrip) and swore that if that was the only option to get back to the motherland direct, then I would rather be shipwrecked on an island somewhere. The Delta flight was atrocious. We could as well have been sheep or goats they were carting across the Atlantic. Horrible customer service, horrible food, horrible experience through and through. And what is that "prison feeling" section of the Airport they put internationals in before their flights? Fail Fail Fail.

Well after the Delta experience, I was really skeptical about any other airline which was not called Lufthansa. But I was convinced (by my empty wallet) to take United to see how the experience could be different. I must say that this traveling experience differed vastly. I wish I had taken pictures but no fears I will take pictures on the return trip.

We start off with a surprising piece of information. I honestly did not know for International flights the first bag was free and the second you had to pay for...*side eye* "where they do that at?" Anyways so that was my introduction to United. The attendant waived the fee for me though so I cant be too mad at them. The bag weights 70 each was also a good thing, I was only overweight in one bag. (I should have checked their overweight fees...oh well...google it...) ok so that was the first airport on my way to Dulles.

Ok so I arrived at Dulles (where United flies direct to Ghana from) and hurray, we were not placed in a prison like setting. (Delta take notes). The gate we were going to leave from, was in close proximity to places where one could go get food and still hear the announcements etc. Another thing I found useful was that United had these jumbotrons with passenger information so it would show for example if you were on standby, confirmed etc. (basically passengers with issues were up there so they could see what their issue was and go get it resolved) for example, when I got in first my name was up there as standby (because they had not verified my visa yet)...anyways went to see them and bam all done ready to set off.

So we board typical plane you can see the seating chart here. I was sitting in economy plus so had 5 inches more leg room (yes I am a Bawse and I roll like that lol). But sitting beside me was a woman who had broken her leg so she needed extra space and that was not too comfortable but it was nothing major. Sidenote...people...your babies...SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!! There was one kid who had to be possessed and thats all I will say about that for now. Back to the discussion...

Dinner was served an hour or so into the flight when we had reached cruising altitude...basic options of pasta or chicken. I did not get a chance to see what the pasta looked like but the chicken was very mushy like baby mashed food...minus 10 points. Apart from the mushy food and the fact that the pasta run out before all of the passengers in economy were served, the food part was ok.

Customer service in general was good except for some of the hoitty totty glorified attendants in the business class who guarded those business class bathrooms like Obama had put gold bars in them...ummm...its just a bathroom. So in terms of logistics United has to find a way to put more bathrooms if economy and economy plus section is supposed to share 2 bathrooms.

Apart from the screaming contest between the babies, this was an enjoyable trip not too much hassle or stress...I look forward to writing about the return experience...stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment